Community United Methodist Church-Circleville
Purpose: The purpose of this position is to provide high quality worship music in the sanctuary worship service. This will be done in a variety of ways, including preparing music for the service, such as prelude, offertory, and postlude, sharing that music during the service, accompanying the choir during the service, rehearsing with the choir, and accompanying the congregation for congregational hymns. The person in this position may also be called upon to provide music for special services, such as funerals and weddings. This person will seek to engage the worshipping congregation so that they can participate fully in worship.
Qualifications: The dynamic person who fills this position must have a strong faith in God, a personal and observable relationship with Jesus Christ, a high level of energy, a love for and commitment to ministering in worship, and a strong knowledge of and gift of music. This person will need to have good music skills, including the ability to read and play music (including SATB parts), organization and planning skills, leadership skills, music technology skills, and enjoy working as a member and leader of a team. Experience in this type of ministry, including technical skills as well as knowledge of sacred music, is required. The qualified applicant must also pass a BCI background check.
• Playing the organ, keyboard, and/or piano in the traditional sanctuary worship service.
• Participating in weekly rehearsals with the choir. Accompanying the choir during the service.
• Choosing, developing, and rehearsing service music, such as prelude, offertory, and postlude. Providing this information to the office staff for inclusion in the weekly bulletin.
• Meeting periodically with the Pastor and Music Director to discuss the weekly services and any other worship or other service issues.
• Meeting with other staff and/or volunteer leaders as needed, including office staff and others involved in the traditional service.
• Working with the Pastor, Music Director, and families involved in preparation for special services, such as funerals and weddings. Providing music during those services as needed.
Reporting: this position reports directly to the Pastor.
Hours: this is an up-to-10 hour/week position.
Other: Compensation, benefits, and schedules will be developed by the SPRC, in consultation with the Pastor. Other responsibilities may be developed by the SPRC and/or Pastor.